Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tall Trees in Georgia



In the summer of 2007, my lovely friend Morgan surreptitiously added some cover songs she recorded to my itunes and it took this long until my shuffle actually got around to playing them. I was instantly taken with the song, "Tall Trees in Georgia", which was originally written by Buffy Sainte-Marie (who ironically enough, Timo turned me onto last summer.) I went to Youtube to see if the original video was there and found a rendition by Eva Cassidy. I was immediately taken with Eva's energy. She sits there humbly in front of the audience, acoustic guitar in hand and announces this song as one she's loved since she was a little girl. She sings it so beautifully and when I listened to the words, they described so much of my own life. I looked Eva up and was sad to see that she had passed away from melanoma back in 1996 and that her success came posthumously after someone found her cover of "Over the Rainbow". This is a shout out to a wonderful energy and gratitude for having found her mellifluous voice now. Better late than never.

1 comment:

  1. Te felicito por esta entrada en que explicas tan bien lo que sucede cuando nos encontramos por primera vez con Eva Cassidy.

    ReplyDelete